International students may apply for Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships to pursue their master’s degrees at any highly regarded institution, with the exception of those in the United Kingdom, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Denmark, The Netherlands, Italy, Norway, and Ireland.
In order to foster effective scholars and leaders and to prepare them for employment, primarily within the AKDN, the Aga Khan Foundation awards a small number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from particular developing countries who have no other means of funding their studies. Every year in June or July, after a tough application procedure, scholarships are given out on a basis of 50% grants and 50% loans.
The Foundation prioritizes requests for Master’s level courses, but it will consider applications for PhD programs only from exceptional students who have received strong recommendations from their professors for doctoral studies and who require a PhD to achieve their professional goals (whether academic or research-oriented).
Applications for short-term courses or from students who have already begun their course of study are not taken into consideration.
Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships 2024
- Level of Study: Masters, PhD
- Institution(s): Aga Khan Foundation
- Study in: Any highly reputable university except universities in UK, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Denmark, The Netherlands, Italy, Norway and Ireland
- Program Period: According to chosen university
- Deadline: March 31, 2024 (The 2024-2025 cycle will open in January 2024)
- Rural development
- Institution building
- Economic development
- Agriculture and food security
- Civil society
- Enterprise development
- Financial inclusion
- Historic cities
- Humanitarian assistance
- Industrial development
- Infrastructure development
- Tourism promotion
List of scholarship links may be helpful.
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- The Foundation assists students with tuition fees and living expenses only.
- Funding for PhD programs is only provided for the first two years of study, after which the students are expected to find alternative sources of assistance.
- Financial assistance is provided according to the needs of students.
- Applicants are requested to make every effort to obtain funding from other sources as well, so that the amount requested from the Foundation can be reduced to a minimum.
- Preference is given to those who have been able to secure some funding from alternative sources.
Half of the scholarship amount is considered as a loan, which must be reimbursed with an annual service charge of 5%. A guarantor is required to co-sign the loan agreement. The payback period is five years, starting six months after the study period funded by the Aga Khan Foundation.
Eligibility Criteria got Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships
To qualify for Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: As per chosen institute requirement.
- Eligible Countries: The Foundation accepts applications from nationals of the following countries: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique. In France, Portugal, UK, USA and Canada, applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the above developing countries, are interested in development-related studies and who have no other means of financing their education.
- Consistently excellent academic records.
- Genuine financial need.
- Admission to a highly reputable university or program of study.
- Relevance of the field of study to AKDN’s focus areas.
- Demonstrating thoughtful and coherent educational and career plans,
- Their extra-curricular interests and achievements, potential to achieve their goals and likelihood to succeed in a foreign academic environment.
- Applicants are expected to have some years of work experience in their field of interest.
- Preference is given to students under 30 years of age.
How to Apply for Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships?
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships:
- You should have an offer to study at the chosen university.
- Obtain application form from AKF offices or Aga Khan Education Services / Boards in the country of your current residence.
- Sent the completed application to the agency from which it was obtained. They should not be sent to Geneva.
To know more about Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarships, please visit official website: