The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Program 2023–24 gives foreign students a fantastic chance to enroll at one of the top international universities in the world, which is located in Hungary. The goal of the Hungary Government Scholarship Program is to promote international student enrollment in Hungary and encourage higher education institutions to hire highly qualified foreign intellectuals. It also intends to increase the number of international students in Hungary. It focuses on establishing a multicultural community that is dedicated to achieving positive outcomes globally. For students who have the potential to excel in their chosen disciplines, this fully-funded fellowship for foreign students in Europe 2023 is a glimmer of hope during the current global economic crisis. In order to fulfill the objective and vision of the nation and institution, which is to ensure the welfare of society, bright students are invited to apply to be a part of this scholarship program.
Full-time and part-time study at all degree levels, including non-degree programs, one-tier degrees, Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral programs, are available in Hungary under the fully-funded foreign scholarship. Nearly all of the academic fields available at the 31 higher education institutions in Hungary are covered by the Hungary scholarship. Although additional languages are also accessible in this scholarship corps, the programs are mostly in English. The students also get a one-year Hungarian language preparation training course in addition to these study programs, which may assist them advance their Hungarian language studies. The stakeholders are encouraged to concentrate on their academic development while they are in Hungary by offering several beneficial benefits. The students’ ability to seize chances in the labor market after earning their degrees is dependent on the competitive abilities they acquired there.
The Hungary Government Scholarships for International Students enable every gifted and driven student to further their professional growth while honing whatever talents they may have picked up along the way. Additionally, it enables students to collaborate with others who have various viewpoints and strengthen their position within a global society. Under the guidance of renowned mentors from across the globe, the educational experience offers students a quality-focused education that is advantageous for both their academic and professional lives. Additionally, the entire scholarship program gives students the professional abilities they need to create upbeat responses to social, economic, cultural, and other pressing problems that are crucial to society’s advancement.
Hungary Government Scholarship 2023-2024 is a fully funded scholarship for international students. Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship will cover tuition fees, stipend of HUF 43,700/month, accommodation contribution of HUF 40 000/month and medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 a year/person. Founded by the Hungarian Government in 2013, the programme is supervised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and managed by the Tempus Public Foundation.
Hungary Government Scholarship 2023
Hungary Government Scholarship Summary
- Level of Study: Undergraduate, Masters, Ph.D., Non-degree
- Institution(s): Hungarian Universities
- Study in: Hungary
- Program Period: Bachelor’s Scholarships: 2-4 Years, Master’s Scholarships: 1.5-2 Years, One-tier master: 5-6 Years, Doctoral Scholarships: 4 Years, Non-degree Programs: 1 Year
- Hungary Government Scholarship Deadline: January 16, 2023
- Offered Courses: Lists of eligible study programs determined in the educational cooperation agreements in effect between Hungary and the specific Sending Partner. Full degree programs– Visit Here
Partial studies– Visit Here
Hungary Government Scholarship Coverage
Hungary Government Scholarship provides the recipient with following benefits:
- Tuition-free education
- Exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- Monthly amount of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- Doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140 000 (cca EUR 450) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 (cca EUR 580) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies. Please see details in section 1.2.1.
- Accommodation contribution
- Free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, then the HUF 40 000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.
- Medical insurance
- Health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca EUR 205) a year/person
Eligibility Criteria for Hungary Government Scholarship
To qualify for Hungarian Government Scholarships, candidate must fulfill all of the following requirements below:
- Required Language: English. English language proficiency (for courses taught in English).
- Excellent school achievements.
- Good health.
- Eligible Sending Partners:The Hungary Government Scholarship is based on effective bilateral educational cooperation agreements between the Ministry of Human Capacities of Hungary and the partner’s Ministry responsible for higher education. Applications will be considered eligible if the applicant is nominated by the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner.For full-time programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Federative Republic of Brazil, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran*, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kingdom of Thailand*, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic*, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mongolia*, Montenegro, Pacific Alliance (member states: Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru), Palestine*, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania*, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Cabo Verde, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Cuba, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana*, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia*, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan*, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Singapore, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Sudan, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation*, Socialist Republic of Vietnam*, State of Eritrea, State of Israel, State of Kuwait, Syrian Arab Republic, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan*, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan*, Ukraine*, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.For partial (exchange) study programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: Federative Republic of Brazil, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia*, People’s Republic of China (only Hudec applicants), Republic of Albania*, Republic of Belarus*, Republic of India, Republic of Korea, Republic of Turkey, Socialist Republic of Vietnam*, Russian Federation*, Syrian Arab Republic, United Mexican States.
Required Documents for Hungary Government Scholarship
- Online Application Form
- The applicants must fill out and save all requested information on the online application form in English language
- A recent photo of the applicant (taken not earlier than 2 years before the submission of the application)
- Those who apply for partial (exchange) studies must clearly state the length (1 or 2 semesters) and start date (September of February) of the studies they apply for.
- Motivation Letter:
- Minimum 1 page, typed with Times New Roman 12 point font size letters
- Proof of language proficiency and their translations in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian
- Scanned copy of the original proof of language proficiency, with a minimum level determined by the Host Institution AND their translations
- In case the student has completed his/her previous level of studies in the language of the selected study programme, a proof can be uploaded about the fact that the language of education was the same as the language of the study programme that the applicant is now applying for.
- School certificates and their translations in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian
- Bachelor level full-time programs: scanned copy of the original secondary school graduation certificate or equivalent AND their translations
- Master-level full-time programs: scanned copy of the original bachelor degree certificate or equivalent AND their translations
- One-tier master level full-time programs: scanned copy of the original secondary school graduation certificate or equivalent AND their translations
- Doctoral level: scanned copy of the original master degree certificate or equivalent AND their translations
- Non-Degree, Hungarian language preparatory programmes: scanned copy of the secondary school graduation certificate AND their translations
- Non-degree, specialisation programmes: scanned copy of degree certificate required by the host institution AND their translations
- Partial (exchange) study programmes on all study levels: scanned copy of the original certificate about student status issued by the current higher education institution where the applicants is registered in AND their translations
- Translations only have to be attached if the copy of the original document is not in the language of the selected study programme or in English
- Transcript of Records and its translations in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian
- Copy of the original transcript of records regarding all academic semesters or school years completed during previous studies (in the highest level of education that the student have participated in) AND their translations
- Translations only have to be attached if the copy of the original document is not in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian
- Medical Certificate
- Scanned copy of a medical certificate of satisfactory health condition issued not earlier than 15 November 2021
- Certificates has to be issued and signed by a physician to prove that the applicant does not have the following illnesses: AIDS, Hepatitis A, B, C or any other epidemic conditions
- Copy of Identification Document
- Provided that the applicant already has a passport, the scan of the passport should be uploaded
- In case the applicants do not yet have a passport, the applicant should upload the scanned copy of any document which may be used to prove the applicant’s identity (e.g. national ID card)
- Acceptance of Statement for Application in the online system
- all applicants need to accept the “Statement for Application”
- The statement can only be accepted in the online system, therefore scanned and signed copies should not be uploaded
- the statement appears in the online application system after registration – all applicants need to click on accepting it in order to be able to submit their application
All documents that cannot be obtained or produced in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian have to be translated and the translations have to be submitted as well as the copy of the original document.
Additional Documents for Doctoral Level:
- Research Plan
- Minimum 2 pages, typed with Times New Roman 12 point font size letters, written in the language of the selected study programme
- Letters of Recommendation
- Two signed Letters of Recommendation from the applicant’s former or current academic tutors or supervisors
- The two letters cannot be issued by the same person
- Written in the language of the selected study program or in Hungarian
How to Apply for Hungary Government Scholarship?
Please follow the following step by step procedure to apply for this scholarship:
- Find your chosen program
Available study fields differ from partner country to partner country. You can either check the study field provided for your country at the SH website or You can start an application in the DreamApply system and select the relevant study programme. You can check the list of sending partners and eligible study fields here.
- Contact your sending partner
Applications shall also be submitted to the responsible authority of the sending partner. Each sending partner might have different deadlines and requirements for submitting the application material. Contact your sending partner (which can be the local Hungarian Embassy, the related ministry, council etc.) to inquire about their exact procedures.
- Register and upload your documents
Application is processed in an online application system (apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu). You can browse 29 universities and colleges (more than 600 study programmes), but only 2 choices are allowed. Make sure that your chosen programmes are relevant to the field of your studies. If you apply for doctoral studies, please remember that you need to find a supervisor. Required documents may vary according to your level of study and nationality. You can find these requirements down below (“Documents”).
- Application deadline
Your application must be submitted by the deadline. Please make sure that all required documents are attached and all the required fields are filled out properly before submitting your application. Please find application deadline at the top!
- Sending partner’s nomination list
Sending partners will nominate the best applicants by the end of February, Nominated applications will be forwarded to the chosen Hungarian higher institutions.
- Entrance exam at Hungarian Universities
The universities will get in touch with the nominated applicants directly to set a date and conduct the entrance exams from the middle of March until the end of May. Your exam scores must be a minimum of 56 out of 100 points for your application to be considered for the final list of scholarship awardees.
To know more about Hungary Government Scholarship, please visit the official websites: