JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in Japan 2024: Applications for the JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2024 are now open. This international research fellowship is an initiative of the United Nations University (UNU) and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). It aims to attract postdoctoral students, young scholars, and policymakers, especially from the developing world, to pursue research and study in Japan. The JSPS fellowship and program in Japan offers talented and highly qualified researchers the chance to engage in advanced sustainability research. This postdoctoral fellowship program facilitates their research by placing them with host researchers at various domestic universities and research institutions throughout Japan, all in collaboration with UNU-IAS (United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies). Therefore, if you want to pursue research in Japan, you must read till the end and apply before the JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship deadline.
In addition, the fellowship by JSPS-UNU in 2024 targets individuals who have successfully obtained their doctoral degrees within the last six years and have relevant research experience. The international postdoctoral fellowship also provides several benefits to all scholars, including airfare, maintenance allowance as well as a settling-in allowance. Moreover, the UNU-IAS Tokyo serves as the nominating authority for the JSPS–UNU Fellowship Program and the duration of the United Nations University Fellowship is 24 months, measured in full-month units beginning from the commencement date. Hence, it is an excellent opportunity for international students to pursue a postdoctoral fellowship in Japan.
Moreover, the JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2024 offers fellows the chance to conduct research in one of its thematic areas, under the guidance of their host researcher. The research proposed should be policy relevant and include considerations for gender issues within the research agenda. The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science is a prominent and well-known organization in Japan dedicated to advancing and promoting scientific research. JSPS in collaboration with the UNU offer this fellowship for postdoctoral students in 2024.
JSPS-UNU Fellowship Research Areas:
Each of the offered research area includes different qualifications.
- Innovation and Education (IVE)
- Biodiversity and Society (BDS)
- Water and Resource Management (WRM)
- Governance for Sustainable Development (GSD)
JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in Japan 2024
- Country: Japan
- Financial coverage: Fully Funded
- Deadline: March 10, 2024
Eligibility Criteria for JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship 2024:
- The JSPS-UNU fellowship is open to postdoctoral candidates interested in pursuing a research fellowship.
- All candidates should have obtained a doctoral degree at the time of application, received on or after 2 April 2018 with maternity/paternity leave periods (considering 4 weeks as a month) subtracted or applicants should be on track to receive their doctoral degree before the UNU-IAS fellowship begins.
- Moreover, applicants must be citizens of countries with diplomatic relations with Japan. Palestinian and Taiwanese researchers are eligible to apply.
- Japanese nationals, including those holding dual citizenship, and permanent residents of Japan are not eligible to apply for the JSPS fellowship for postdoctoral students.
- In addition, all fellows must start their fellowship in Japan no later than 30 November 2024, and they should maintain continuous residence in Japan throughout the entire fellowship duration.
- All JSPS fellows must undertake research in one of the thematic areas of the fellowship and meet the additional requirements of each theme.
- For all the thematic areas, fellows must be fluent in the English language.
- Individuals who have previously received a Standard or Pathway Fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for research in Japan are not eligible to apply for this international fellowship program.
- Candidates will be selected based on the quality of their research proposal and research objectives.
- UNU-IAS will consider the academic merit of the applicant, focusing on their educational background and potential for conducting successful research during their stay in Japan.
Benefits of Postdoctoral Fellowship by JSPS-UNU in Japan:
- The JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship provides an opportunity for postdoctoral researchers to conduct advanced research in Japan.
- JSPS-UNU fellows receive financial support that includes a round-trip air ticket (in accordance with JSPS regulations).
- They also receive a monthly maintenance allowance of JPY 362,000.
- Similarly, applicants also get miscellaneous benefits such as a settling-in allowance of JPY 200,000 and overseas travel insurance.
- However, if a fellow already resides in Japan or gets a residence status before the JSPS-UNU fellowship begins, they will not receive the settling-in allowance and the air ticket to Japan.
- The fellowship program encourages international collaboration by developing relationships between postdoctoral fellows, host researchers, and institutions in Japan.
- It is an excellent opportunity to pursue postdoctoral research in Japan.
- How to apply for the JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Research Fellowship?
- To apply, interested candidates must visit the official website or click the ‘apply now’ button to access the online application form.
- Before applying, ensure you meet the requirements and eligibility criteria for this international fellowship in Japan.
- Also, make sure to secure confirmation from a host researcher before submitting a fellowship application.
- Applicants need to identify and research a host researcher at a Japanese Institution.
- The UNU-IAS Fellowship Committee conducts the review of applications promptly following the application deadline.
- Moreover, only candidates who are shortlisted will be invited for an online interview, where their qualifications and research proposals will be further assessed.
- All applicants must apply before the deadline.
Application Deadline for the JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Program in Japan 2024:
- The deadline to apply for the JSPS-UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship is 10 March 2024.