In 2008, the Canadian government established the George Philias Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2024 in his honor. Famous Canadian soldier and diplomat Georges P. Vanier held both of these positions. From 1959 until 1967, he held the position of Governor-General of Canada. The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program, often known as the Rhodes Scholarship of Canada, was created in a manner that has made it a fresh source of interest for students who are exceptionally gifted, brilliant, and intelligent, whether they are Canadian citizens or foreigners studying abroad in Canada.
The 2024 Vanier Scholarship is designed to retain the brightest brains in the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, and health-related subjects who have a demonstrated capacity for leadership. Therefore, this Canadian post-graduate fellowship program selects PhD applicants based on three equally important factors. Academic brilliance, research potential, and leadership abilities make up the selection criteria. Since there is no interview for Vanier CGS 2024 selected scholars, all three selection criteria are evaluated based on the materials submitted by the candidates.
This special category of Canadian Government Scholarships in Canada has a unique application and selection process. Under this scholarship, Vanier’s CGS quota is given to Canadian institutions. To be considered for a Vanier Canadian Government grant for the Ph.D. program, candidates must submit an application to the institution. The institutions have all suggested the chosen applicants for this Vanier fellowship in Canada. The next paragraphs go into great depth on the whole application process. Additionally, for the convenience of readers and candidates, all relevant links are included in the article.
The Canadian Institute of Health Research, the National Science and Engineering Research Council, and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council are the organizations in charge of managing the Vanier CGS scholarships in Canada. For three years, a $50,000 scholarship is given to the Vanier scholars. Up to 166 learners may be accommodated and supported by the program each year. In exchange, these academics and luminaries support the development of an efficient and creative atmosphere in Canadian institutions, particularly throughout the country.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships 2024 Study in Canada
- Canadian Government
- Canadain Institute of Health Research
- National Science and Engineering Research Council
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.
Benefits of the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2024:
- A $ 50,000 grant will annually be given to the scholars for three years.
- Applicants may have a chance to pursue their Ph.D. in his/her own desired Canadian institutions.
- The studies of the applicant will be fully or partially funded based on his/her academic achievements, research proposal, and leadership qualities.
Eligibility Criteria of the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2024:
- The applicant must be a Canadian or foreign student studying in Canada.
- The applicant must be pursuing for PhD program and must be a full-time Canadian institution student.
- The candidate must be nominated by the university which must be receiving the Vainer CGS universities quota. (The list will be updated on July 1)
- The applicant must be pursuing the first PhD program.
- The applicant must not be receiving any fellowship or scholarship from any of the three Canadian agencies CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC for any other doctoral program.
- The candidate must have a first-class average in the last two years of studies.
- Students pursuing joint professional degree programs (MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) are eligible, however, only PhD tenure will be funded.
- The candidates must have a significant research component in the research proposal.
- The applicant must not be a faculty of the institution which has a Vanier quota or any other institution as well. In order to be eligible, the applicant must be granted leave for the PhD program from the institution.
- The applicant must be a full-time student. If the student has some disability or has to support their family, he/she can be enrolled as a part-time student.
- For part-time students, the two-month study will be considered a one-month study as compared to a full-time student.
- Canadian Federal Government employees can only be eligible if they will be having an unpaid leave from the government.
- Eligible candidates can apply for both Vanier and agency-specific Ph.D. scholarships. However, after selection, if they are selected for more than one scholarship, they will have to choose one grant.
How to Apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2024?
- The applicant can not directly apply to Vanier Scholarships 2024.
- The candidates first have to apply to the institution which has Vanier’s CGS quota.
- The applicants must be nominated by the institution for the scholarship.
- The applications must be submitted before the closing of the internal submission dates. Each institution has a different internal submission date.
- The nominating institute then sends the nominates to the Vanier CGS program before the closing date.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Application Process:
- The candidates must begin the process by first researching Canadian institutions through the universities’ Canada websites.
- Ensure the Vanier CGS quota for the selected institution.
- Once the above-mentioned tasks are accomplished, complete the application given on the ResearcNet application form. Complete all the required steps for the Vanier CGS application in the ResearchNet form.
- The language of the application can be English or French.
- Follow the presentation standards given for the documents which are to be attached.
- Complete all the mandatory tasks.
- Before submitting your application stats must be complete.
- After submitting the application to nominating institute, the activity log will move to complete the activity. This application will not be modified in the future.
- If your application is returned to you on ResearchNet by the institution it will return with a revised date. You can edit your application and re-submit it.
- If the application is selected for nomination you will receive an automated email and ResearchNet about acknowledgment.
- If you do not receive any mail you can contact the institution for the status of your application.
Required Documents for the Vanier CGS 2024:
The candidates must possess all the following documents in order to apply for the Vanier scholarships in Canada.
- A ResearchNet application form.
- Two reference letters.
- A CV/Resume.
- The research contributions are not more than one page.
- A personal statement that depicts the leadership qualities of the candidate.
- Two leadership reference letters.
- A research proposal of a maximum of two pages.
- Project preferences of a maximum of five pages.
- Academic proofs, transcripts, and certificates.
- Proof of special circumstances in case of a part-time student. The proof may not exceed 0.5 pages.
There are two deadlines for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2024.
- Institution Internal Deadline: The proposed institution’s deadline will appear on the ResearchNet. Each institution has a different internal deadline. The candidates have to follow the deadline.
- Program Deadline: The program deadline is November 1, 2023. This deadline must be followed by the nominating institutions.