In order to address the pressing problem of urban floods brought on by climate change, growing urbanization, and a lack of risk mitigation infrastructure, the Words of Resilience Essay Competition was established. Cities are particularly susceptible to the devastating effects of floods as a result of their ongoing population increase and development. These floods pose a hazard to human health and safety and may cause large financial losses and property damage. Youth 4 Disaster Risk Reduction (Y4DRR) is the organization that is sponsoring this essay contest.
This international essay competition’s main objective is to give young people a forum to share their worries, suggestions, and plans for enhancing urban flood resilience in written essays. This project seeks to increase public awareness of the problem and encourage creative solutions to lower the danger of flooding. Send in your essay right now for a chance to win great cash prizes! For first, second, and third place, there are three distinct cash awards ranging in value from USD 500 to $150. The Global Forum for Adolescents ’23 and the Erasmus Mundus Association are sponsors of this competition. This is your opportunity to express your opinions in your essay and receive a prize.
While the competition also provides recommended essay topics, participants are invited to research other elements of urban floods that pique their interest. In this article, they are listed. Urban flooding is a growing problem, and this worldwide competition stimulates the development of innovative solutions to reduce the hazards associated with it. This competition is an exciting chance for participants to contribute to the discussion on urban flood solutions by offering attractive cash prizes ranging from $150 to $500.
Words of Resilience Essay Competition 2023
Suggested Topics for Y4DRR Essay:
Although applicants are free to explore various topics of urban flooding, here is a list of suggested topics.
- Innovative Technologies for Enhancing Urban Flood Resilience.
- Understanding Vulnerability in Urban Flood Risks: How Can We Do Better?
- Building Back Better: Post-Flood Recovery and Reconstruction in Urban Areas.
- Policy Frameworks and Governance for Urban Flood Resilience.
- The Impact of Urban Flooding on Health and Wellbeing: A Call for Action.
- The Role of Urban Planning in Flood Resilience: Opportunities and Challenges.
- Incorporating Local Knowledge and Practices in Early Warning Systems for Floods.
- Youth Engagement in Developing and Promoting Early Warning Systems.
- My lived experience – A First-Hand Account of Urban Flooding Impact in my City.
Deadline is November 30, 2023
November 30, 2023
Eligibility Criteria :
Before you start your application, it is necessary that you read the eligibility criteria of the Words of Resilience essay writing contest that we have compiled for you below.
Eligibility Criteria of the Words of Resilience Essay Competition 2023:
- Participants should fall within the age range of 18 to 30 years old when submitting their entries.
- Contestants need to hold citizenship in a Southeast Asian nation. It is necessary to provide authentic documentation as evidence of their citizenship.
- All entries must be within 750 words in total. This word count excludes the title and any references you include.
- All entries should be written in the English language.
- Each participant is only allowed to submit one entry. Several entries from the same participant will result in disqualification.
- Your essay must be directly related to the theme of urban flood resilience.
- Ensure your essay contains no offensive, inappropriate, or illegal content.
- By participating in the competition, participants acknowledge their agreement to follow all the rules and decisions made by the organizers.
Do you meet the eligibility criteria mentioned above? If you do, take a moment to review the numerous advantages and prizes that the Y4DRR essay competition in 2023 offers its participants.
Benefits of the Words of Resilience Essay Competition:
- A chance to win cash prizes. The First prize includes $500, the second prize includes $350, and the third prize consists of $150.
- These rewards can provide financial support or acknowledgment for your efforts.
- The Words of Resilience Essay Competition provides a platform to share your thoughts, insights, and ideas about disaster risk reduction with a wider audience.
- Writing an essay for the competition allows you to hone your writing skills. Applicants must effectively communicate their ideas, structure their arguments, and convey their message clearly and concisely.
- Researching and writing about disaster risk reduction and urban flooding will deepen your understanding of this critical topic.
- Winning or being recognized in the competition can provide you with visibility and recognition within the disaster risk reduction community, potentially leading to more opportunities in this field.
- Your essay can raise awareness about disaster risk reduction and urban floods promoting innovative solutions.
- Mentioning your participation in the Y4DRR essay competition on your resume or CV can demonstrate your engagement in global issues, research, and writing skills to potential employers, educational institutions, or organizations.
- Looking for ways how to apply for the Words of Resilience essay competition.
- Carefully go through the guidelines provided by the competition organizers. Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria, submission requirements, and rules.
- All submissions should be completed online.
- Write an essay on the designated topic that aligns with the theme of Urban Flood Solutions. Ensure your essay meets the word count limit and is written in English.
- Before submission, proofread your essay for grammar, spelling, and clarity. Make any necessary edits to improve the quality of your work.
- Save your essay in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) and PDF formats per the competition requirements.
Application Deadline for the Words of Resilience Essay Competition:
- The application deadline for the Words of Resilience Essay Competition is 30 November 2023.
- The judging period will be between December to February.
- The winners for the Words of Resilience Essay Competition will be announced on 23 March 2024, World Meteorological Day.